If you’ve lost the keys to your home or car, getting locks rekeyed or new keys made can be a hassle and expense. Many people wonder if major hardware stores like Lowes offer key copying services directly from locks, without needing the original key present. Here’s what you need to know about getting keys made at Lowes without an original.
Does Lowes Make Keys Without the Original?
Lowes does have the ability to make keys without the original key present in many cases. However, their services are limited compared to a professional locksmith.
- Lowes can duplicate keys from locks on some household door knobs and deadbolts, particularly major brands like Schlage and Kwikset. However, success depends on the specific lock’s make and model.
- For high-security locks, newer lock designs, and less common brands, Lowes likely won’t be able to duplicate keys without the original. Their key cutting machines have limitations.
- Lowes generally cannot duplicate car, motorcycle, or specialty keys from the lock alone. The equipment and skill required exceeds what they offer for basic home key copying.
- Only an experienced locksmith with specialized tools can duplicate keys for the full range of lock brands and types without an original key.
The Lowes Key Duplication Process
If you need a key made at Lowes without the original on hand, here is what to expect:
- Bring the lock disassembled from the door or vehicle if possible. Lowes can attempt to insert blanks and decode the lock.
- Provide proof that the lock/vehicle is yours. Lowes will verify ownership to duplicate keys.
- There is no guarantee of success. Due to equipment limitations, Lowes can’t duplicate all locks from scratch. Complex lock designs often require a locksmith.
- It will likely take time. The process may involve trying multiple key blanks. Allow time for a Lowes associate to work through trial and error.
- Costs may be higher than simply duplicating an original key. Expect to pay $3-10 or more, depending on time and blanks required.
- Lowes can duplicate some basic door knob and deadbolt keys without the original, but has limitations.
- More complex, high-security, or vehicle keys usually require a professional locksmith.
- The key copying process without an original takes trial and error, proof of ownership, and patience.
- Costs may be higher than copying an existing key.
If Lowes is unable to help get you back in your locked house or car, seeking out a full-service locksmith is the best solution for fast and reliable key duplication from locks. They have specialized equipment to decode and cut keys for the widest range of lock makes and models.